Police in Stockport have launched an investigation after a late-night fire broke out near a war memorial in Marple, just days ahead of Remembrance Sunday. The incident occurred around 9:50 p.m. on Wednesday, November 5, when emergency services were alerted to reports of a group of males near the Cenotaph.
Officers discovered that a bin and several wooden pallets had been set on fire, causing damage to the ground nearby. The blaze was swiftly contained by fire crews from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
The fire has provoked strong condemnation across the local community and on social media. Councillor Steve Gribbon from Marple North expressed his outrage at the act, calling it “disgraceful” and stressing that such behaviour “will not be tolerated.”
“This is an absolutely disgraceful act and will not be tolerated,” said Councillor Steve Gribbon.
Police Sergeant Rachel Walton from the Stockport East Neighbourhood Policing Team described the event as a reckless act that could have resulted in serious harm or more significant damage.
“This was a reckless act that could have ended with more damage and even serious injury,” said Sergeant Rachel Walton. “Police units arrived on scene within minutes and the fire was quickly extinguished by colleagues from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.”
Authorities are now working with Stockport Council and fire services to clean and restore the area. Officers are also appealing for any information that could assist their investigation.
An arson attack near a Marple war memorial shortly before Remembrance Sunday prompted outrage and a police investigation into the reckless act.